Jump to Navigation

Voter Info

Am I eligible to vote?

You are eligible vote if you are:

  • at least 18 years of age on October 18, 2011
  • a United States citizen
  • a Minnesota resident for at least 20 days before the October 18, 2011 Election Day
  • have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed ("off paper")
  • are not under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights
  • have not been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law

How do I register to vote?

You may register to vote by completing a Voter Registration form and returning it to your county auditor or the Secretary of State. Voter registration forms are available at county courthouses, city halls and other public buildings throughout the state. You can also download a copy from the Minnesota Secretary of State's Office website.

Voter Registration forms are available in English, as well as Hmong, Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese.

Can I register to vote on Election Day?

If you are not registered to vote or need to update your registration information, you may do so at your local polling location on Election Day. To register at your polling place on Election Day, you will need one of the following to verify your residence:

  • Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, identification card, or receipt for one, with your current address
  • Tribal ID
  • "Notice of Late Registration" postcard
  • U.S. passport with utility bill *
  • U.S. military photo ID card

If you are a student, you can use:

  • Student ID with utility bill * or a fee statement
  • Student ID if you are on a student housing list on file at the polling place

* Note: The utility bill must have your name, current address, and be due within 30 days of the election. Utility bills may be for electric, gas, water, solid waste, sewer, telephone, cell phone, internet service, or cable tv.

Where do I go to vote?

You can locate your polling place with the Minnesota Secretary of State's Polling Place Finder.

Who can I contact for answers to other election-related questions?

Answers to election-related questions may be obtained by contacting your County Auditor's office or the Minnesota Secretary of State's office. Many frequently asked questions can be answered by visiting the Minnesota Secretary of State's Voter information page.

Absentee Ballot Information

Information on Absentee Voting can be found at the Minnesota Secretary of State's Absentee Voting page.